Coding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2017, 05:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Menu

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 12183
  • Total Topics: 1737
  • Online Today: 41
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (February 11, 2014, 01:46:08 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 35
Yahoo!
Sogou (2)
Google (2)
Baidu (2)

Author Topic: Hi All!  (Read 1179 times)

Offline markem

• Bananas: 2
Hi All!
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
I used to be VERY active on this board years ago and then tragedy struck. I was put in the hospital, then out, no job, then back in, then out, no job, got job, in again, almost lost my left leg, out again, no job, contract, contract, no job, filed for Social Security Disability, denied, got job, lost job, filed for SSD again, denied, filed again, denied, going to court over it. Wife moved away last year, getting a divorce, and actually loving living by myself now. Got a dog. He keeps me busy. I'm now 61. Lots of health problems, trying to exercise every day, no vehicle anymore (sold it to make ends meet).

So why did Icome back? I just happened to come across IBasic on my system and I went "You know - I don't think I've been back since about 2005 when I was doing the manual on IBasic." So then I looked up the IBasic manual I was working on back then and I still haven't completed it. My problem back then was that the outline format I was using had gone so far over to the right that you only had four or five words per line. I was basically stuck trying to figure out what I could do to fix the problem. So I think I'm going to take another whack at it. I'm not promising much - but I have a lot of time on my hands right now. All I'm diong is selling Mage:the Gathering cards I bought twenty years ago to make enough money to pay the bills each month. Working on refinancing the house so I can stay in it. And waiting for Social Security to tell me when my court date is so me and my lawyer can go and get me on SSD. If we can get me on SSD then everything will be ok and I can relax. Won't have to sell my MtG cards anymore, and I can do my own thing. Which right now is to relax, recoup my health, and do something like finish the book I started. I may even put it on LuLu.com so people can buy it if they want to do so. (Or just download the PDF or MS-Word file.)

Anyway, I know IBasic is a dead language (in that it isn't sold anymore). But I have always had in the back of my mind that I need to complete the book. There have been several things that I started but did not get to complete simply because I either went into the hospital or was recovering from having been n the hospital. Yeah - been in and out that many times. For gangrene once, for an unknown bacteria that was eating the flesh off of my left foot (not ebola thank goodness) , and other such things.

And as for the divorce - ever since my wife left I actually have been feeling a lot better. I have even managed to reduce my monthly debts from almost $2,400.00 a month down to around $800.00 a month. Most of that is the house payment ($608.00 a month). I have reduce my insurance payments from around $850.00 a month to only $50.00 a month. And the electric, water, gas, and phone bills have gone from almost $1,200.00 a month to only around $300.00. Believe me - I was really shocked at the difference. Most of the expenditures was from taking care of dogs and cats we didn't own (rescues). We were washing towels and blankets almost every day or buying new ones. I was not happy because my wife kept volunteering us to take on more of these creatures and I was the one paying for it all. So as I said - a lot happier now that my bills are almost nothing. I only buy dog and cat food once every month or two now (instead of every two weeks). So a lot happier in that too.

Anyway - I should be coming around more often now and maybe I can get a new version of the book uploaded as well.

Later everyone! :-)

Offline MikeHart

• Bananas: 4
Re: Hi All!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Wow markem, you really got it hard. And I am happy for ya, that you got things improving for you lately. Funny, the other day I ran IBPro again on my Windows PC. Worked like a charm. Even my editor IndeED. To bad the community is dead. It was a fine language and very powerful too.

I have written a book too in 2010/2011. And I am very happy that I did. It is a great achievement in my life which I will cherish all the time.
So my suggestion is ... do it.

Offline markem

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »
I am now on the other board at IonicWind. I am going to let the IBasic book die a quiet death. They already have a manual for IBasic.

If you want to see a book I finished - go to lulu.com and look for Mark vs Mr. Hacker. I tell you about a few of the back doors all versions of Windows has. Presently I am fighting a flare-up of the Phlebitis. It does that every few years. The only "cure" such as it is is to simply get a lot of rest, prop my leg up, put the heating pad on it, and take extra Warfarin. It hurts a lot. Like someone is taking a knife and stabbing me in my foot. :-/

I can't decide on which language to use to write some programs I am working on. Presently I'm using PHP because it is so flexible but PHP isn't compilable. I'm thinking of using Flex. Flex you can compile once and run it on any browser. Compile it twice and it will run as a standalone program. I'd like to use CBasic or IBasic but neither of them compile to something I can use in a browser or that would run on multiple platforms. If CBasic would compile to flex there is a free compiler called Flash Develop. Supposed to do everything that Flex Builder does. But Flex Builder will combine graphics, animations, forms, and an extended version of Javascript. With Actionscript you can also draw directly to the screen.  So you can make your little animation functions and then just call them. Also, Flex compiles. :-/

So I am torn between the ease of Basic and all of the things Flex/Actionscript can do. :-/

Offline MikeHart

• Bananas: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »
Yes, developing cross platform is something I need too. Me PC is not working atm so I am back on my IMac. Right now I am teaching myself some Python, just for fun.

My book is "Monkey Game Development Beginners Guide" published by PacktPub.

Offline markem

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
Ha! Great title! :-)

I have found four platforms you can use to do multiplatform programming. These are:

1. Qt - Only you have to give the source of your program away or pay the outrageous fee for the commercial version.
2. Flex Builder - $799 (yet another outrageous fee) but it works in any browser and the Flex Air package (free) makes stand alone programs. These are all in ActionScript (suped up Javascript).
3. Unity (from Steam). It is free if you make less than $200K per year. Unfortunately, you write everything in C# and it then converts that to the other platforms. Does browser based things and standalone also.
4. Torque - C++ based. Does a lot of platforms.

QB64 is working on breaking out of the windows only mode.
FreeBasic is also working on breaking out of the windows only mode.

The problem with most basics is they go directly from basic to assemby or object format and then to executeable. The GCC compiler will compile C/C++ to a huge number of platforms. All you do is use the right options and BAM! You have an executeable for that platform.

The second problem with most basics is they don't use an intermediary set of C/C++ classes to do the work they do. In other words - No one uses wxWidgets. With wxWidgets you just need the set of classes for the platform you want to compile towards. If any/all of the basics out there did this then they would be able to just include the right class and use GCC/MingW to compile for that platform. So basically you could create updates for every platform out there by having a single computer do all of the recompiles. It would be one heck of a Make file and would probably take a few days to do all of the compiles but using wxWidgets and GCC together could be a bombshell for basic programmers everywhere.

Then, if the program that handles reading a Basic file were written using Flex (instead of hand coding them) you would make advancements a lot faster by just changing the Flex code.

I have a QB64 flex program on GitHub. It is free and open source and could be used as the basis of a basic compiler. :-)

Offline garretthylltun

• Bananas: 0
  • I haven't set any personal text yet
    • FreewareHome
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
Hey you two!  Shhhh... some of us are trying to sleep here...  ;-)
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 to 479 b.c.)
Necroprogramming FTW! - "Wait.. Is necroprogramming legal?"
http://www.freewarehome.com/ <-- Freeware listings since 1996

Offline markem

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
Heh. The old skeletons are creaking their bones..... Wahahahahaha!!!!

To link to us use this code/button on your site

http://www.codingmonkeys.com/images/cm_link.gif

ShoutBox!

Blue Steel

December 09, 2017, 02:46:53 AM
:) ty fingers crossed

Larry McCaughn

December 08, 2017, 04:10:56 PM
I'll give you a Shout out in the Shout Box for being able to put it back up.

lurkalot

September 20, 2017, 01:57:54 PM
Hey that's my job. Didn't choose this username for nothing you know.  :)

Larry McCaughn

September 19, 2017, 12:24:13 AM
lurking in the shadows, lurkalot.

lurkalot

September 16, 2017, 04:39:43 PM
Good evening all.  Where is everyone?

lurkalot

September 12, 2017, 12:57:36 PM
Good to hear, it's nice to see a empty error log. ;)

Blue Steel

September 12, 2017, 05:04:25 AM
running sites log files overnight heres the result (I know mainly spiners) "There are currently no error log entries." :)

lurkalot

September 12, 2017, 03:19:33 AM
Morning all.  :)

Blue Steel

September 12, 2017, 01:12:33 AM
Let it all out ..
these are the things I can't do without  ;)

MikeHart

September 11, 2017, 11:14:22 PM
SHOUT SHOUT  :)

GWS

September 11, 2017, 08:16:02 PM
Shouting is Go !  ;D

Blue Steel

September 11, 2017, 06:54:02 PM
gradually getting there

lurkalot

September 11, 2017, 05:22:46 PM
Yay, you found it.  ;)

Larry McCaughn

September 11, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
looks like you're making good progress

Blue Steel

September 07, 2017, 10:34:19 PM
yay recent topics are working again in the center of the home page :)

Larry McCaughn

July 12, 2017, 05:46:33 PM
Blue Steel is back running the show.  Maybe he'll be able to build some steam in the ole place!

Blue Steel

June 26, 2017, 04:58:41 AM
hope i didn't scare too many of you

Blue Steel

June 26, 2017, 04:58:12 AM
Boo, i'm still here alive and well , see my post in introductions

MikeHart

July 25, 2016, 01:43:24 AM
That sounds cool. Have to chekc out IWBasic in the next days.

Larry McCaughn

July 22, 2016, 11:47:00 PM
I'm hoping to issue a new maintenance release to the IWBasic 3.x IDE in the next few weeks and Larry Sikes has released an update to the Linux version of IWBasic and is currently working on the 64bit version of IWBasic.  Progress should speed up since he has retired and has apparently resolved his m

MikeHart

July 19, 2016, 02:53:02 PM
Anything interesting going on around BASIC?

Larry McCaughn

July 18, 2016, 09:14:12 AM
Hello Mike

MikeHart

July 16, 2016, 04:33:25 PM
Hi there all!

pistol350

June 24, 2016, 03:41:10 AM
Hello all!
I'm still around although less active!