Coding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 12:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Menu

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 12175
  • Total Topics: 1736
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (February 11, 2014, 01:46:08 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 34
Baidu (5)

Author Topic: Moving on from Ionic Wind  (Read 28305 times)

Paul Turley

Re: Moving on from Ionic Wind
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:30 PM »
I think the license agreement is generous enough.  You can make a derivitave of the language but give credit in the About Box (or an approved location).  I really don't see why anyone would have troubles with this.

Which is why I state it over and over again, I think it is generous enough.  Of course I could technically ban BlueSteel from the Ionic Wind forums for copying posts from a private forum into his...nah just kidding ;D

Making a derivative won't be as easy as you think, you need all of the tools that I use and of course older versions of VC++.  It's not difficult to port the parser to any C compiler but you would also need all of the support libraries. Then of course you need permission for GoRC, the resource compiler.  Jeremy gave me specific permission to include it with my compilers but that doesn't transfer to a derivative.

Paul.

Offline stevenp

• Bananas: 1
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
Paul, that's what I figured. The source code is not a free ride but it's there if someone is motivated enough.

Offline Blue Steel

• Administrator
  • Bananas: 75
  • Wheres My Coffee ????
    • Coding Monkeys
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
I only added it here to stop the endless (well seemingly) posts and questions about it  thats all no threat or malicous intent ment.

and as proof that I got it wrong in the first place..

I appologise if I did offend

Offline peaslee

• Bananas: 0
    • Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »
An interesting thread. I'm looking at Visual Basic Express. I am a big fan of EBasic, but I just can't see trying to develop commercially with a product that is not supported. VB Express is free and has a good IDE with some debugging help as you code. Paul was talking about adding .NET capabilities to EB.

Conversion seems pretty easy. I do wonder about speed Paul's stuff is very fast but we'll have to see how that goes.

BTW, I just love this emoticon:  O0   I once voted for Angela Davis and Gus Hall in a primary election.
Bruce Peaslee

JerryMuelver

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
An interesting thread. I'm looking at Visual Basic Express.
VB Express has like, what, a 2-gig runtime? Just guessing, I don't know squat about .NET.

BTW, I just love this emoticon:  O0   I once voted for Angela Davis and Gus Hall in a primary election.
Should have been more of us doing that.... We could have avoided a lot of trickle-down gop-iness.  >:D

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
I know there is that runtime thing, but I'm told that .NET is on most new systems.

Bruce Peaslee

Offline mrainey

• Bananas: 3
    • ME Software
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »
Bruce,

You took to Aurora well so it might make more sense to look at C#, which probably has a brighter future than VB (or so I've read).
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Offline rdc

• Sliderules rule!
    • Clark Productions
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
I know there is that runtime thing, but I'm told that .NET is on most new systems.

.Net is already on Vista and Win 7 so there is no need to distribute any runtimes with your program. For XP the runtime is large, but not overly so and if they run the Windows Updater, they probably already have it as well.

Keep in mind that the .Net languages for just frontends for the CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) so while there are differences in the languages, the backend is the same for all of them.

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Bruce,

You took to Aurora well so it might make more sense to look at C#, which probably has a brighter future than VB (or so I've read).

I'll take a look. Thanks.
Bruce Peaslee

Offline stevenp

• Bananas: 1
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Although I've used both VB.NET and C# I much prefer C#.

As far as the runtime goes, XP SP2 should have the .NET 2.0 runtime included.  I believe most Window's user's have a version of the runtime installed.  You can also move to MONO if you want cross platform development.

JerryMuelver

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »
Lotta languages available, I see. IronPython looks interesting... couple of JavaScript things... Hmmm... What can I make, that no one else has done, but everyone needs?  ::)

Offline erosolmi

• thinBasic author
  • Bananas: 4
    • www.thinbasic.com
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
There is always space for innovation.
Be open mind, think different. Or just do something only to demonstrate to yourself you can do it!
www.thinbasic.com | community.thinbasic.compsch.thinbasic.com
WinXP Pro SP2 - Centrino Core 2 2GHz - 2Gb Ram - Ati Radeon Mobility X1600 512Mb
Win7 64b - i7 - 4Gb Ram

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2010, 01:00:10 PM »
Hmmm... What can I make, that no one else has done, but everyone needs?  ::)

I could use something that converts plain text to rich edit text.
Bruce Peaslee

JerryMuelver

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
Hmmm... What can I make, that no one else has done, but everyone needs?  ::)

I could use something that converts plain text to rich edit text.
Umm.... Wait a minnit.... Okay.
http://www.angelicsoftware.com/en/angel-writer.html

Next problem?  ::)

Offline zlatkoCB

• Bananas: 2
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
Angel writer is judt a rich text editor.
I guess you wanna make your own or what ???

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
Angel writer is judt a rich text editor.
I guess you wanna make your own or what ???

IBasic has a convenient browser window that will accept rich text strings. I have been coding them by hand which is very tedious. I'm looking for something that will format the strings for me from data supplied by the user.
Bruce Peaslee

JerryMuelver

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »
Peaslee, EBasic's richedit will load text, save out as richtext, and load richtext, save out as text. That's what I used for my HypEdit and HyPad adventures. Maybe some of that code would be useful to you.

Offline zlatkoCB

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
@peaslee

If i understand you right you try translate your strings written in richedit to html(control- browser).
You probably must make something like html generator,
I'm not sure...

JerryMuelver

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »
Peaslee, by "data supplied by the user" do you mean wiki-like markup code?

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »
Peaslee, by "data supplied by the user" do you mean wiki-like markup code?

I have a application with 133 rich edit controls. It represents a map of my neighborhood. When you click on a control, a dialog with a lot of data opens. The user can, for example, change the name of the owner of the property, whether or not is empty or rented, is it for sale, and so forth. When the dialog is closed, I want some of the data to be reflected in the rich edit control. This is the actual code:

Code: [Select]
Istring sRTF[500]

'prepare string
sRTF = "{\rtf1\ansi"                     +_
"{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss Helvetica;}" +_
"{\colortbl;"                     
sRTF += "\red255\green255\blue255;"   ' 1 = white
sRTF += "\red255\green0\blue0;"       ' 2 = red
sRTF += "\red255\green255\blue0;"     ' 3 = yellow
sRTF += "\red0\green255\blue0;"       ' 4 = green 
sRTF += "\red151\green40\blue0;"      ' 5 = the background
sRTF += "\red0\green0\blue255;"       ' 6 = blue
sRTF += "\red0\green0\blue0;}"        ' 7 = black

'add lot number
sRTF += "{\fs16 \cf4 " + str$(nLot) + "   " + "}"

'add status symbols
If (g_Lot[nLot].w = 100)
sRTF += "\par"
EndIf
If (g_Lot[nLot].bForSale)
sRTF += "{\fs30 \cf1 \u8734" + "   }"
EndIf
If (g_Lot[nLot].bRented)
sRTF += "{\fs25 \cf4 \u0174" + "   }"
EndIf
If (g_Lot[nLot].bVacant)
sRTF += "{\fs30 \cf2 \u9632" + "   }"
EndIf
If (g_Lot[nLot].bNeighborhoodWatch)
sRTF += "{\fs30 \cf3 \u9824" + "   }"
EndIf
If (g_Lot[nLot].bLandscapeCmte)
sRTF += "{\fs30 \cf4 \u9827" + "   }\par"
Else
sRTF += "{\fs30 \cf5 \u9827" + "   }\par"
EndIf

'add address and lot plan, based on shape of lot
If (g_Lot[nLot].w = 100)
sRTF += "{\fs16\cf3 " + g_Lot[nLot].sAddress + "}\par" +_
"{\fs16\cf4 " + g_Lot[nLot].sPlan + "}\par"
Else
sRTF += "{\fs16\cf3 " + g_Lot[nLot].sAddress + "}      " +_
"{\fs16\cf4 " + g_Lot[nLot].sPlan + "}\par"
EndIf

'add owners
sRTF += "{\fs16\cf1 " + g_Lot[nLot].sName1 + "}\par" +_
"{\fs16\cf1 " + g_Lot[nLot].sName2 + "}"

ControlCMD (dlgMap, nLot, @RTLOAD, sRTF, 1)

Making changes is very tedious. This may be the only way to do it, but I was hoping for something easier.
Bruce Peaslee

JerryMuelver

« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Bruce, that's pretty much the way I would do it. But, 133 controls? Wow. They all reuse the same SUBs, right?

Offline peaslee

• Campanile Data Systems
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
Bruce, that's pretty much the way I would do it. But, 133 controls? Wow. They all reuse the same SUBs, right?

Yes.

The Aurora version of "HoodMap" is on the other forum and was included in the Aurora Programmers Toolkit. The EBasic version looks a lot nicer and added the ability to drag the screen around with the mouse.

You can see the EBasic version at http://www.campanilesystems.com/products.html. There is a free trial link.
Bruce Peaslee

Offline chrisboss

• I haven't set any personal text yet
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:53 AM »
Chris Boss also has EzGUI which is targeted at DOS programmers moving to Windows programming (I wonder if there *are* any DOS programmers left out there?) Anyways, it has a simple Form Editor and some DLL's that offer a rich command set for GUI programming.

I know this is an old discussion, but I just wanted to post an update in reference to the comment above.

EZGUI is not for DOS programmers who want to move to Windows. It is for professional Powerbasic programmers who need to be able to write powerful applications for Windows (see: http://cwsof.com/forums/index.php?topic=435.0 )

Some of the features the new version supports is the GLCanvas control which is a hybrid control based on the 4.0 Canvas control (ie. 2D Sprite engine) with a 3D Graphics engine on top using OpenGL. It has a complete 3D Graphics Scripting Language built in.

The Visual Designer has been significantly reworked with features you won't find in many other GUI Designers like the new Visual Bookmark. You can create up to 200 snapshots of the Form you are working on and move from one to the other and even test them in test mode. You can select bookmarks from the Visual Bookmark drop down list (see: http://cwsof.com )

Offline DrCharbonneau

• http://jootbox.forumchitchat.com/
    • Just Out Of The BOX
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:32 AM »
I plan to stay with EBasic, but I also plan to learn Microsoft VB, Delphi 7 and some PHP/SQL/JAVA scripting. I've been busy fighting the wolves away from the door for a while, so I've lost track of it all. I'm certain EBasic is like riding a bicycle, but to say the least, I'll likely have to start some projects from scratch again.

I've started a new site: http://www.jootbox.net76.net

There are quite a few pdf files that are public domain on computer science and programming. If you have any particular requests, there's a forum associated where you can ask and as I have time I may be able to dig up a manual.

I've always liked EBasic. I have found that once I learn a language I like, it's a good idea to stick with it. As I get better at it, perhaps I'll try my hand at creating some add-ons or companions. My own holy grail is the ability to create a screen matrix. I thgink EBasic has all the tools to do this. I just have to learn it better.

In that, I intend to use it and hopefully some others will help me keep it alive.

Dr. C.
We have the right to believe whatever we want, still there is always an absolute truth. Dark matter isn't.  E=MC^2 only applies to the dimensions where light exists. F=MA is universal. The universe is a hairball. It was created by Fritz the Cat. Einstein called it spaghetti... after a row with Elsa.

Offline zlatkoCB

« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
I really dont know what EZGUI have with moving from Ionic
Wind?
EBasic or now IWBasic is one
of the best and easiest
basic compilers around that's for
sure.
If you want try something
different i only can suggest ...
Oxygen Basic.

Offline DrCharbonneau

• Just Out Of The BOX
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
My goal for this year is to work consistenly toward mastering EBasic, Delphi, VB and go further in Assm. It's quite a horizon with the rest of my prototype and home improvement schedule. I suppose I should thank heaven that I don't do the 8 to 5 routine. Being a consultant has its advantages.

Dr. C.
We have the right to believe whatever we want, still there is always an absolute truth. Dark matter isn't.  E=MC^2 only applies to the dimensions where light exists. F=MA is universal. The universe is a hairball. It was created by Fritz the Cat. Einstein called it spaghetti... after a row with Elsa.

Offline zlatkoCB

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
Well...
because is very very quite here....
i will break the silence... ;D

topic is  "Moving on from Ionic Wind"
yeah or better to say moving from programming ... ::)
hmm from what we can see on almost every hobby or
semi-pro forum about programming languages ...
situation is clear ....

unfortunatelly ...this type of coding is on the edge of existance
There is no young or new people interested in basic-like
languages .
i really don't have a clue where are all those people who
visit all this forums ?
for a change i have in plan to do some things in old good
EBasic...

all best
Aurel

Offline garretthylltun

• I haven't set any personal text yet
    • FreewareHome
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Over on another forum, my friends and I have pondered this subject to some lengths.

Basic and Basic like languages still do not get any respect.  Even if they can compete with features and runtime speeds, they are still looked down upon by the more mainstream languages.

Mainstream languages are shoved in everyone's faces all over the net.  Webapps is being shoved in everyone's faces, but Basic style languages have languished under the heavy foot of the mainstream languages.

"Your language isn't OOP!", "Your language isn't Procedural!", "Your language is just an Interpreter!", "Your language isn't Concurrent!", "It's Basic, so it's slow!", "You can't do what I do in my language!", blah blah blah etc etc etc....

Basic is the most misunderstood and misrepresented programming language out there and unjustly so.  There are still quite a few Basic languages that can just rock the socks off of any over compensating mainstream language.  I personally use PureBasic(Yes, the syntax is a bit whack, it's an acquired taste, but in the end, super and powerful language) myself and love it.  It does just about anything and everything I need, then again, I'm not some professional, just another hobby jockey.

As for moving on... Why?  Why move on if what you use suits your needs?  If it's doing the job you need, keep using it.  Who cares if the communities around Basic are slowing down, or almost gone, if what you have does the job, well, keep doing the job.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I spent years chasing after what I thought might be the next gold nugget.  BasicBasic, LibertyBasic, VB, IBasic, EBasic, MediaBasic, B++, GFA, Jabaco, RapidQ.... Not sure there's a Basic that I haven't tried!  The point is, I wasted a hell of a lot of time looking to fix something that wasn't broken.  I had everything I needed all along.  With the exception of Visual DialogScript, which was a darn good little scripting language, but still limited.  It simply faded away with no more development.  Now, the only reason I would bother looking is if what I have is no longer being developed, like Visual DialogScript.  Unless you have some other reason, such as looking to create or further your career in programming where you'd need to learn a mainstream language.  Or simply just bored with Basic.  Hey, it happens.

Well, long post short, don't move on if you don't want to or have to.  :-)  (or, I'm simply no longer in-style or in-touch with the rest of the world, if so, I just don't care, I'm enjoying what I've got)

You know, another reason why some communities might be fading away, is insane verbose posting verification routines!!!  :P

~Garrett
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 to 479 b.c.)
Necroprogramming FTW! - "Wait.. Is necroprogramming legal?"
http://www.freewarehome.com/ <-- Freeware listings since 1996

Offline DrCharbonneau

• Just Out Of The BOX
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »
With what are now hundreds of varied languages available, why make it one's life ambition to learn all of them? EBasic isn't a bad language and has a good number of bells and whistles that can compliment other languages that lack a lot of the game-type graphics capabilities. Why move on? I'd rather just add on when the time is right.

To link to us use this code/button on your site

http://www.codingmonkeys.com/images/cm_link.gif

ShoutBox!

lurkalot

September 20, 2017, 01:57:54 PM
Hey that's my job. Didn't choose this username for nothing you know.  :)

Larry McCaughn

September 19, 2017, 12:24:13 AM
lurking in the shadows, lurkalot.

lurkalot

September 16, 2017, 04:39:43 PM
Good evening all.  Where is everyone?

lurkalot

September 12, 2017, 12:57:36 PM
Good to hear, it's nice to see a empty error log. ;)

Blue Steel

September 12, 2017, 05:04:25 AM
running sites log files overnight heres the result (I know mainly spiners) "There are currently no error log entries." :)

lurkalot

September 12, 2017, 03:19:33 AM
Morning all.  :)

Blue Steel

September 12, 2017, 01:12:33 AM
Let it all out ..
these are the things I can't do without  ;)

MikeHart

September 11, 2017, 11:14:22 PM
SHOUT SHOUT  :)

GWS

September 11, 2017, 08:16:02 PM
Shouting is Go !  ;D

Blue Steel

September 11, 2017, 06:54:02 PM
gradually getting there

lurkalot

September 11, 2017, 05:22:46 PM
Yay, you found it.  ;)

Larry McCaughn

September 11, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
looks like you're making good progress

Blue Steel

September 07, 2017, 10:34:19 PM
yay recent topics are working again in the center of the home page :)

Larry McCaughn

July 12, 2017, 05:46:33 PM
Blue Steel is back running the show.  Maybe he'll be able to build some steam in the ole place!

Blue Steel

June 26, 2017, 04:58:41 AM
hope i didn't scare too many of you

Blue Steel

June 26, 2017, 04:58:12 AM
Boo, i'm still here alive and well , see my post in introductions

MikeHart

July 25, 2016, 01:43:24 AM
That sounds cool. Have to chekc out IWBasic in the next days.

Larry McCaughn

July 22, 2016, 11:47:00 PM
I'm hoping to issue a new maintenance release to the IWBasic 3.x IDE in the next few weeks and Larry Sikes has released an update to the Linux version of IWBasic and is currently working on the 64bit version of IWBasic.  Progress should speed up since he has retired and has apparently resolved his m

MikeHart

July 19, 2016, 02:53:02 PM
Anything interesting going on around BASIC?

Larry McCaughn

July 18, 2016, 09:14:12 AM
Hello Mike

MikeHart

July 16, 2016, 04:33:25 PM
Hi there all!

pistol350

June 24, 2016, 03:41:10 AM
Hello all!
I'm still around although less active!

Blue Steel

September 08, 2013, 09:34:55 AM
first page of games in arcade are fixed. only 12 more pages to go

Blue Steel

September 08, 2013, 08:41:09 AM
Cleared all highscores on the games . i've been asked to see if i can fix them all. please PM me if you find a game in the arcade that doesn't work, there are way too many for me to go through each and every game.